The Web 2.0 World

This week, I'm presenting a workshop for FDI at Virginia Tech called, "A Survey of Emerging Web 2.0 Technologies: Engaging Students with Technology to Build a Community of Practice". (Twelve academics are enrolled.)

What gets me is that no matter how many of the Web 2.0 technologies I actually use (MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Google Apps, etc.), I cannot believe how much more 2.0 stuff there is out there in the world. How does one cover the daily new ones (like Daylert and Microsoft Office Live), let alone existing ones? At best, I can only present a smattering of them ... thank goodness for the Go2Web20.net page.

Of interest, the K12 Online Conference 2007 starts tomorrow. I suggest you check it out.

Many of you might be asking, "What is Web 2.0, exactly?" Trusty, old-fashioned, and technical O'Reilly has an answer for you. So do some Web 2.0 platforms out there: YouTube can tell you what Web 2.0 is and so can all the folks contributing at Wikipedia.

YOUR TASK:
YOU tell ME what Web 2.0 technologies are out there.
(Click on "Post a Comment" below!)

  1. Use Google or a search visualization tool. If stumped, try Go2Web20.net.
  2. Which ones do you currently use? Why? How do you use them?
  3. Which ones would you like to use? Why? How would you use them?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm using them sort of half heartedly. Like I use del.icio.us as a bookmark page but don't use it's networked functionality.

I really want to learn how to generate a concept/resource map that maps staff and student areas of expertise for our advisees.

I'd very much like to find a Blackboard type "workbench" to use in a classroom that isn't restrictive or linear in the way that Blackboard is.
M

Anonymous said...

AIM, blogs, wikipedia, myspace, you tube.

Ntino said...

Web 2.0:

remember when people used to read 5-10 different newspapers every morning, and kept clippings of the stories that interest them ?

now the newspapers are the news feeds. As for the clippings, an RSS aggregator that creates personalized web-pages with the feeds of interest can do that for you. Check for example globalgrind.com

think about the power that this gives to a professional / businessman that wants to monitor the trends on his/her field !

Anonymous said...

I use IChat/ Instant Messenger which is advertised to the students I work with as a way they can reach me if I'm in the office. Often, I've found that students have quick questions or I may have quick questions and so the ability to talk to them quickly is helpful. Also I find that IChat is more of a format that resonates with students and it is easiest to use forums that are meaningful to students.

Anonymous said...

Not really a technology, but a chart you may find useful:

The Semantic Web

Amber D. (Evans) Marcu, Ph.D. said...

Anonymous said, "I really want to learn how to generate a concept/resource map that maps staff and student areas of expertise for our advisees."

I suggest you look into concept mapping software. Wikipedia has a list of concept mapping software. I personally have used the freely downloadable and usable CMapTools software. Others for purchase like Inspiration may also fit the bill.

Amber D. (Evans) Marcu, Ph.D. said...

Anonymous said, "I'd very much like to find a Blackboard type "workbench" to use in a classroom that isn't restrictive or linear in the way that Blackboard is."

There are a lot of ways to address aspects of asynchronous learning, but I can understand the need for something that is a "meeting place" that houses content, materials, grades, etc. One option at VT is Scholar as used in our CoP. Another, more socially-oriented platform with calendaring options, is a system/site called Daylert.

When I worked for a non-profit, we used Moodle as our Learning Management System (LMS). While as both a student and later as faculty at Chico State, we used WebCT (which was recently purchased by Blackboard).

There are plenty of options out there, the question comes down to what it is that you need it to do and how do you want to use it (and support it)?

Does anyone else know of other technology or tools out there to address these concerns?

Amber D. (Evans) Marcu, Ph.D. said...

Agbiotec said, "an RSS aggregator that creates personalized web-pages with the feeds of interest can do that for you. Check for example globalgrind.com.

That's a good one. I also like Google Reader for my RSS feeds and NewsMap for an overview of headlines.